Saturday, December 17, 2005

Shopping Survival

So I have a love hate relationship with the whole Christmas gifting process. For example I love the new jeans I got for myself...don't judge, we all do the one for me and one for them thing. Besides these jeans jumped off the rack and into my bag, what was I supposed to do. I also love finding the perfect little whatsit or thingamadoodle to make my favorite people smile.

The icky part of this whole process comes in when you are bushwhacked by random kiosk dwelling product pushers who approach you with a tenacious hungry glint in their eye. They sense weakness and attack most often when you are alone meandering towards your car on weary legs with gift laden arms slowing your progress. Next thing you know, in moment of overwhelming pity and sheer defeat, you find an oily sandy substance has been plopped into your hands while having the attributes of dead sea salts extolled to you in grandiose terms.

This year I decided to develop a method to avoid stepping in one of these shopping potholes. I now walk boldly by these kiosks looking intensely distracted and glancing furtively at my watch. When the wolves dare begin their stalking approach I furrow my brow and look a bit angry. I resist the urge to snarl and growl......

I know this behavior does not engender the spirit of Christmas but I firmly believe you have to draw the line somewhere in order to preserve your overall cheer.

3 Comments:

Blogger norcalcyclingnews.com said...

that's right. there's a fine line between obsessing over mass consumerism and just wanting to buy something that makes your butt look nice.

it's sort of like racism. it would be wrong to go around saying, "stupid fucking white people" all the time ... but, the occassional 'kill whitey' isn't so bad.

~

2:14 PM  
Blogger Sweet Cheeks said...

wow,Jeni, I love, love, love your insights on this post. Now who's hiding the talent?

5:23 PM  
Blogger Velo Bella said...

Dang little Jeni....where you been hiding these words?

I'm so proud of our little witty blogging household.

11:22 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home