Monday, May 29, 2006

Hardchargers and Bodybags



Today I got up quite cheerily (for me at least) around 6am and made my way over to the Memorial day criterium on a whim. Some of my favorite people were going to be there and damn if it wasn't a lovely day.

I was a little nervous to say the least as I rolled up to the line pinned up by Miss Mary on my silly new bike. I haven't done one of these roundy round bits in a while so I listened intently to the quirky somewhat overanimated official as he read off the rules. Just as I was beginning to relax and be ready for the whistle the official reminds us to be careful out there...and oh by the way he says I don't want anyone going home in a body bag today....uh...gulp? Did he just say body bag? Oh crap there's the whistle...uh legs, check, lungs, check, brain, mmm

With the body bag comment still reeling in my head I was cautious through the first few corners. After a couple laps I finally settled in and felt a bit more solid. I wandered around in the pack just getting the feel of being out there. It was fun. In retrospect though I would have done a couple things differently. 1) Uh...don't attack alone just before the preem. 2) I wish I had gotten in the right position to give Soni shelter from the wind and some form of a leadout on the last lap. 3) Do not listen to little men wearing blue

Thank you Agent Starling and Soni for your patience in the pack with me!

6 Comments:

Blogger PAB(a.k.a.CID) said...

we need to p-shop a picture of Barry (the over-animated official) in that bag and send it to him. people don't need to hear something like that right before a race. what a dope.

Yay Nicky for getting out there, and for struttin that impressive handlebar tape around the course!

8:28 AM  
Blogger nicknameless said...

congrats on your win!!

PS thx for the loan

9:57 AM  
Blogger X Bunny said...

it's so great to have friendly faces in the peloton

thanks for coming out and making it more fun!

10:59 AM  
Blogger ginmtb said...

Get me his photo and consider it D-U-N...

4:43 PM  
Blogger L. Christmas said...

"overanimated".. that's an understatement!

although his visuals of death and dismay did scare me into correcting my rookie manuver and putting a plug back into my bar end(thanks again for that nicky!)


... but the bodybag comment.. not nice. humph!

5:07 PM  
Blogger nicknameless said...

Heya Bishop Cow wassup baby!!

When you gonna submit to another solid thrashing? ;)

It was awesome to see you out there haulin mail this weekend!

OH..PS I lost your digis...send em to me

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home